Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Proud to be an American!

This past week, Kirk and I went on an amazing trip to Washington, D.C., partly for our 12 year anniversary (WOW!), partly because Kirk was already in Maryland for work, so why not have his company pay for half of our vacation, and partly because I've hardly ever been east of Utah, (yes- I know Utah is not considered by most to be east, but I haven't traveled that way enough to know any other states on that side of the continent).

To journal this vacation, and to celebrate our 12 years of bliss, here are 12 things we saw and did on our trip:
1. We toured the Library of Congress. I was amazed at the beautiful painting and sculpting that were all done by U.S. citizens.
2. As we approached the Library of Congress for our tour, it was totally blocked off with security people all around with guns and whatnot guarding the stairs up to it. We were a little scared and asked the guards what was going on, but they would only tell us that it was closed for an "event". We went 20 feet down the street and asked the policemen and they casually told us that the King and Queen of Jordan were in town, so that's what all the hoopla was for. In this picture you can see the motorcade, and I think the King of Jordan is mooning us all out the window - look real hard.
3. The Supreme Court Building, where people were protesting most of the time when we went by. What a great country we live in that we have the freedom of speech, even if it's dumb.

4. The Washington Monument. Washington D.C. is known for it's beautiful cherry blossoms this time of year, and according to the locals, we missed it by about a week. Dang!
5. Lincoln Memorial with a ton of duck poo all around the ground.

6. We visited the Museum of Natural History, which is AMAZING! Way better than a zoo, because all the animals are way close to you, and even posed how you would like to see them. Here the lions are attacking a buffalo - what's cooler than that? We kept thinking - our kids would love this.
7. We also took a tour of the U.S. Capitol. It was very informative, and made me so thankful for our forefathers and their trust in God and thought for the future.
8. Us in the freezing rain! I was colder there than I've been for a long time - I kept thinking it should start snowing, it was so cold!

9. Arlington Cemetery was sobering, and made me grateful for all of those that have fought for our country, so I can live in a place with freedoms that I usually take for granted.

10. Here is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. They always have a soldier guarding the tomb, and we were there for the changing of the guard.

11. Us in front of Sen. John McCain's office, where we went to start one of our tours. We hung out there with John's office staff and even got a autographed picture and business card. Wow!

12. Here's the happy couple of 12 wonderful years being scared for our lives on the subway. Don't we look scared? Actually the subway system was amazingly clean and not nearly as dark, smelly and scary as the Chicago subway system.


There you have it! What a fun trip! Don't you wish that we had only been married for 3 or 4 years so you wouldn't have had to suffer through 12 long posts?! Good times!

15 comments:

Kim said...

So cute!!! You guys are adorable! Glad you enjoyed your trip.

MeL said...

I've been waiting for this post! I am so stinking jealous of your fun fun trip...maybe when I'm married for 12 years, I will get to go on a cool trip like that too. You guys look so stinking cute in all of them, and I'm impressed with all of your winter clothes and layering! Who knew that other parts of the country aren't a lovely 81 degrees in March?

The Ayers Family said...

We were supposed to be in D.C. this weekend too! Chris is going for work and I was going to tag along for our 5th anniversary! We honeymooned there! Your pictures made me wish I was still joining him!

The Jones Fam said...

I heart D.C.! Isn't it so awesome to actually be there and see all those places that are on the backs of our coins? When we went, it must have been the same week as you, cause we just missed the cherry blossoms too- and it was freezing and rainy the whole time too. I'm glad you guys got to go together- without kids. Even though it would be fun to take kids there when they're a little older. The metro IS awesome and way less scary than others (NY), and even less scary than it would be to drive in that city with all the diagonal streets. Oops, I guess this is your post- not mine. Anyway, fun!

Marie said...

This post makes me want to watch National Treasure.
I'm glad you got to go on such a cool anniversary trip. Too bad you missed the cherry blossoms...were there still tulips everywhere? I love that too.
Last time we went we were lucky enough to be there for the year of the Cicada. They were everywhere, dead and alive, and they buzzed non-stop. I guess they hatch out like every 20 years or something.
Happy 12 years!

Cassie and Chad said...

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun! 12 funs for your 12 years! What a great trip!

HooHoo said...

Impressive.

Matt and Jennae Porter said...

D.C. is awesome. So glad you got to take a trip there. There's lots of cool stuff east of Utah! =)

Matt and Jennae Porter said...

P.S. You are too perfect... even your blog is organized so neatly... grouping everyone on your friends list! From now on I want my VT lessons to be "How to be more like Allyson" !!!

Nicole said...

What a fun trip. We are actually planning a trip out there this Fall, so this made us soooo excited!!! You guys are so cute together, I loved the 12 things. Happy Anniversary & I am so glad you had such a fun time!!

brooke romney said...

I think I already told you a million times, but I'm so jealous. Looks like tons of fun.

careyttops or katelyn's kid kitchen said...

i miss that part of the country sooooo much!!! i'm glad you had the opp. to go and for 1/2 the cost!! congrats on your 12 years and best wishes for the next 12!!! :) and more than 12...

R and R said...

Great trip!! Someday maybe I will get back to DC as an adult and then I can decide what to see instead of some leader doing it for me as all my trips were when I was in YW. So glad you had a great time.

stephanie said...

what an awesome trip!!! it looks like you had a blast too--congrats on making it 12 years ☺--very fun post!

Crystal said...

You two are an inspiration. Will and I need to do more stuff like this. Glad you had fun :)