Saturday, December 12, 2009

Gingerbread Houses!

Kirk called from work on Monday afternoon to see if I wanted to make gingerbread houses for FHE that night. I said no. I don't like this tradition - too much mess and sugar. But, Kirk, being the nice dad, won through, and we made amazing gingerbread houses that night.
Part of the tradition is getting pop in a bottle to drink while you decorate - just in case you don't consume quite enough candy in the decorating process.
That night we were having soup for dinner, which my girls hate anything in soup form, so Kirk made a two-story gingerbread house for the first person to finish their soup. After Marissa won, we had melt downs from the other girls, so we had to make lofts or steeples on all the other houses.
Here's Marissa working hard and saving a little bit of frosting for later on her cheek.

Brynn always gets a little sugar high, and this year was no exception. She got the Candyland guy and was having him jump all over her house.

Lizzie even made stairs up to her front door.
Noelle got the prize for having the most frosting on her house.

This is everybody lined up behind their house. I think Kirk is a ghost - or else maybe that's what you get when you put the camera on timer and it's teetering on top of the pile of papertowels and peanut butter jars to be the right height.

Great traditions! I guess I'll admit it's fun. I just have a hard time remembering that from year to year. Fun times!

2 comments:

HooHoo said...

Creative genious! Each has such a creative touch, especially love the decorated (tree trunk?)bottle that goes with Marissa's mansion. Look how nicely the table cleaned up. I love your new tree too.

The Jones Fam said...

Those are awesome! I am very impressed. I'm not usually a fan of this tradition either, but get suckered into it. Soup sounds good!
-Nat