This past weekend, Kirk and I had an experience of a lifetime. We went on a three day backpacking adventure with my parents, my brothers, Chris and Kevin, and Kevin's friend Jared, through Paria Canyon. We left early Thursday morning, around 4:00AM, and drove up about 30 miles north of Page, AZ to start our hike at Wire Pass.

This was our first backpacking adventure. For the past several months we had been researching and buying all the perfect backpacking equipment. The main qualifications for this equipment was that it was as light as possible. Still, when I went to put on my 30 lb. pack Thursday, I sincerely thought I might die on this trip.

Paria Canyon is beautiful! It was like hiking through an Arizona Highways magazine! The first day we hiked through some pretty skinny slot canyons. In some places you had to go sideways or take off our packs to get through. The beautiful red rock walls seemed to go up forever on both sides. I kept telling Kirk to take pictures every 20 feet, it was just so beautiful!


This was a huge arch of stone. Just to put it in perspective, the speck on the left side is a guy.

There were tons of petroglyphs on the walls. We liked to try and make up a story to go along.
My parents were amazing on this trip! They led the way a lot of the time, and kept encouraging us when it got hard.
**That's the 'poo bag' my dad is carrying. There was a rule that you had to pack out everything - yes, even your poo. This was a source of many great conversations, making 'poo bag' one of the most used phrases of the trip.
12 comments:
Wow! You guys rock! I would like to say, I wish I could have been there, but my lazy A, wouldn't agree. Glad it was so fun!
-nat
I am SOOO impressed. I would have been done in after a few hours! But the pictures are amazing and you are amazing for doing it!
Why are you a pretty camper? I'm glad you're home!!
That looks amazing! Next time you go, please take me with you. I'll even carry the poo bag.
WOW this is great!!! Love the "poo bag"!!! These pics look like they came straight from Arizona Highways magazine. How fun and Kirk should take the YM on the adventure!
Wow - so gorgeous. And I think you're the funniest girl ever,love to read your blog.
Your pictures and narrative are wonderful. You should write a book and sell it at the dam. You guys were the greatest pair. Never complaining, just entertaining. It kind of embarrasses me that I tucked my shirt in to keep my pants from falling off because I look similar to Art Blecha in my stance there. But that may be better than if my pants were around my knees in the mud. Terrible visual,sorry. That was fun. When are we going again.
WOW, I am so impressed! The pictures are AMAZING! What a great place & fun memories, moments etc. If I can ever get my sorry self into shape I am dragging Jeff there with me! FYI: I can't stop giggling about the "poo bag"...Oh my!!! LOL
I was trying to come up with a witty comment about something along the lines of "poo-bagger" (instead of two-bagger), without success. Seriously though, I think I would have issues with carrying a bag of warm squishy poo.
Your pictures are AMAZING!!! Seriously it looks so beautiful! Glad you had a good time. I'm so impressed with you guys for your toughness.
Jake
Hey you! I found your blog and now I'm gonna read it! There's nothing you can do to stop me either! =)
You rock! You are crazy! The pictures are beautiful!!!
I have been so curious about how this went! So great to be able to read about it!
Those are some great pictures!
The poo bag/cesspool combo might have been a little too much for me to handle... I'm not sure if I'd be able to endure such a hike.
But so beautiful!
Post a Comment