Monday, February 25, 2008

Chitty Chitty Bang Bangs?

So do any of you ever have a revelation, a sudden realization, an abrupt discovery that isn't what you wanted to discover? I did the other day (with the help of Kirk). My unwanted discovery you ask? I was stuck in the '94's (the year I graduated). My hairstyle was basically the same, and I kept wanting to tuck in all my shirts and wear braided belts.
Here's proof - me in '94:
Me in 2007:
Yeah, basically the same, just parted on a different side and slightly more trashy.
So Kirk intervened and encouraged me to branch out and try something new. (I usually have the same exact hairstyle for at least 4 years) We went to InStyle.com where you can download a picture of you and try out different star's hairstyles on your face. (Lot's of fun!) So we decided I should try more bangs. So this is what I got:
I'm not sure I like it. I feel like a mix between Suzanne Somers and an 80's rocker. Also, this is the first time in quite a while that I don't have to curl my hair, and I kind of feel like it just looks like I forgot to do my hair or something. I think this might be because I grew up in the height of the 80's and I keep wanting to bust out my 1/4 inch curling iron and curl my bangs half up and half down and then spray the heck out of them with the Rave hairspray. So if next time you see me I look like this:
(8th grade almost Glamour Shots)
...you'll know that I've tried to come out of the 80's/90's, but just couldn't do it. Long live brown suede Dr. Martin's and hunter green and burgundy stripe bodysuits!!

21 comments:

Lyric Payne said...

I love you. You are so crazy hilarious. You looked fabulous, and not stuck in the 90's, but kudos to Kirk for the intervention! I love the new doo. Interestingly enough I just did the opposite, reverting back to the 90's this week. I just discovered that with my new bangs and layers my curly hair doesn't look too bad. So I dusted off the diffuser that I haven't used for 3 years and made those curls happen. Surprisingly I like it and it only takes me 5-7 minutes to do my hair again. Now I really want to find that really tight red and white striped body suit I used to wear with a denim shirt over it, except when I was wanting a little action from the ol' friend with benefits!! Sadly I'm not kidding!

MeL said...

ALY!!! You are so out of control! You totally did NOT look like you were stuck in 1994, and when I told Philip that you were getting your hair cut and not doing it curly anymore, he said, and I quote, "What? Why? I think her hair looks good curly!" And that is coming from Philip who may or may not have a heart! Just kidding, I love my husband. :)
Anyways, your hair looks seriously adorable no matter how you do it, and if you busted out the 8th grade hair, I would totally believe that it was back in style and that you brought it back! I love you sissy!

Marie said...

Okay Alyson, I am shocked. Like I just had a "sudden realization, an abrupt discovery that isn't what you wanted to discover". Because I've always thought, "Alyson is it! She is the most in-style and attractive mom ever. Like you wouldn't put her in the mom category (looks wise) except for the 4 beautiful girls that live in her house...I aspire to be Alyson!"
And now you think your not in style? I'm really in trouble here...
But I loved your old-school pictures. It reminds me of my HUGE, perfectly styled bang days. So perfect that when playing softball, I hated batting because the helmet crushed my beautiful bangs. (Luckily they had enough hair spray to bounce right back.)
I love that Kirk is a fashion consultant too.
Despite my realization, I still love your hair, however you style it.

Nicole said...

This is sooo hilarious, I was laughing out loud...though I have to say you look HOT as an 80's rocker chick!!! I like the straight look, the curly & wavy look. Girlie, you are just so stinkin cute you can pull it all off!!

angiedunn said...

I'll just cut & paste Marie's first paragraph...Fer real.

Your hair is/was so cute!

Thanks for comin' to my par-tay...I'll keep you posted on when the goods arive!

Kim said...

I love the new do, though I agree you "updated" the nineties haircut enough you did not look stuck in the nineties!

Eardley Fam said...

Alyson you are soo hilarious!! Love the pics-you got me laughing and missing my bodysuits!! You look fab no matter what!

The Jones Fam said...

I am with Angie and going to cut and paste Marie's 1st paragraph! Why do you think I mysteriously have the same haircut a few months later? I love that Kirk knew to go to in-style and try new hairdo's. How does he know that? Funny. Also I love the highschool pics and like Miss said, if you started wearing mile high bangs I would think it must be back too and it's time to stock up on my White Rain Hair Spray!
-Nat

PS Love the new style!

Anonymous said...

this is the worlds greatest post and tribute to 80's hair!! Long live Aqua Net!!

HooHoo said...

Way to bring the bangs back with a bang!

Emily, Julia, and Annie said...

It's okay. Amanda and Laura say I'm stuck in the 90's because I wish I could still wear doc martins and button down shirts. Every day.

Cassie and Chad said...

I love reading your blog!!! You crack me up, man talk about a walk down memory lane. I love ALL your do's. You are completely styling no matter which look you choose. Remember my huge head of hair?

amanda p. said...

K love the bangs in the last picture but I LOVE you new cut so so so much more! Totally cute :)

Jamie Hammond Photography said...

i LOVE LOVE LOVE that you posted high school pics of yourself! very brave! don't expect any from me - i'm still trying to forget my 12 year span of awkwardness :)

Matt and Jennae Porter said...

You are the funniest person ever. Seriously. And bravest, too! You will NEVER see junior high pics of me on my blog. My hair was 10x worse than yours, plus i had braces and a really fat face =) And I think you look fantastic in any hair style. Gorgeous women like you can pull off anything!!

brooke romney said...

There are so many reasons why you are one of my favorite people. I love your new hair--it's fantastic. You are the funniest. So glad we got to see this side of you last week.

kirkn21 said...

Babe, you have always been smoking hot. I miss you tons! See you soon!

stephanie said...

what is funny, is i totally remember you looking like that! you are just lucky, you have be-u-tiful hair!! ya i did the bangs, big hair thing too! i like the straight hair, very cute!

Sara! said...

Okay, Aly, I admit, I was a little nervous when you were telling me you were getting bangs, but that's because I was imagining them being forreals Suzanne Summers-ish where they partway cover her eyes and stick in her eyelashes when they blink. HOWEVER, I was totally jealous when I saw the new style, it looks amazing! And, yes, you are the pretty sister. How did you get so lucky to be Mom's clone?

careyttops or katelyn's kid kitchen said...

I still can't stop laughing over your 8th grade photo shoot- priceless!! LOL

I love the new do, but I have to admit I've always been jealous of how beautiful you are and so in style- even with 4 kids! I would've never thought you needed an intervention- if you're needing it then I'm desperately needing one!

I have 1 question- did you get this hairstlye from your instlye.com session? I'll have to give it a go and see what I can come up with...I might be calling Kirk for some advice!

R and R said...

Super cute hair Alyson! I love it! You always look so cute. It is so fun to come check out your blog - it is great!