Monday, March 9, 2009

13 and counting!!

Today is me and Kirk's 13th anniversary! Happy day for us! It's definitely been the funnest 13 years of my life so far, with promise to only get better. For this special occasion, I thought I'd grace you all with some of my favorite memories from the past 13 years. (I was going to do 13 memories, but I know you all don't care that much.)
1. We were the mushiest/gushiest couple around when we got engaged. We were so excited to get married, and the 3 short months we were engaged seemed like it would never come. So we decided to make a chain to count it down. I think it had like 82 links. Here's a sweet picture of us, in all our 1996 glory right after we made our chain. (Yes, my mom's kitchen was the coolest around. And yes, it was quarter to 2:00 in the morning - somehow only getting 3-ish hours of sleep when we were engaged seemed like a totally rational thing to do.)


2. In the first year of our marriage, we rented an apartment for $300 a month. It was like a million years old, and a little scary - but we were totally up for adventure. One night we were making dinner and we kept hearing this squeaking sound. It kept following us all over the kitchen. We were sure we had a mouse infestation. We emptied cupboards trying to find the mice, but to no avail. So we decided to go to the store to get some mouse traps to get rid of them. We got all the way to Home Depot, going down the trap aisle, when we heard the mouse again!! Come to find out, Kirk had stepped in some water in his shoes, and the squeaking was just coming from his shoes. No mice in the apartment after all.



3. Kirk has always made me laugh. This started in Grant Woolf's Music Appreciation class where we would sit in the back and pass notes and laugh. (Yes we were adults - sort of.) I love that he is so fun and funny, and makes me laugh every single day. This is one of my favorite things about him. Recently he used this picture as his facebook photo of himself.












4. If you haven't noticed from reading our blog, Kirk loves to plan and go on vacations. He's always looking forward to the next place to go and checking out the things to do there. For our 10th anniversary, he planned an awesome trip to Kauai, HI for just us. He had read and studied and planned - only to have all our hopes and dreams crushed when we flew in and found out that they were having the worst rain storm in history. Our hotel was totally flooded, they advised against traveling anywhere in a car, and it rained, hard, the whole week were were there, only giving us a totally of about 3 hours of sun the whole week.













All in all, though, we've had a wonderful 13 years, and are planning on 13 times 13 more! I am so happy I found Kirk who is the perfect match for me! Happy anniversary, Babe!

8 comments:

donkeybray said...

Oh my gosh you guys! Has it really been 13 years? Your were my first niece to get married, Alyson, and I was so excited for you! It was the first sealing I'd witnessed as well, and I was so impressed with the love that absolutely GLOWED between you two as Uncle Archie spoke. Dunno if you remember a word of what he said, but apparently he sealed you pretty good. You guys are perfect for each other. Congratulations!!!!

Nik said...

Awww, I totally remember that music appreciation class. I feel so priveleged to have witnessed the beginning of Kirk and Aly all those years ago. Congratulations!
Randy and I will be celebrating our 13th next month--where did the time go?!

Lyric Payne said...

You two are a perfect couple, which is only possible because separately you are both super duper great people and so together you become superer and duperer. We totally miss you guys. Happy anniversary. Make out some for me...because I don't do much of that anymore!

donkeybray said...

PS: Ooops. I may have made a huge mistake. Uncle Archie performed the sealing with Scott and Kelli. I bleeve it may have been Bro. Huber at yours. Sorry.

Tanya and Tony said...

YAY!! I was so sad that I wasn't home when you finally (what were you like 19?!)got married. I mean, you had only spent all of your life thinking and planning and praying for a wonderful husband! I am so glad that Kirk has made you so happy! I'm also a little sad that I don't know Kirk very well...I'm probably really missing out, huh? I love you guys and am so happy for ya! Oh yeah, I also want to wish you good luck on the next 13 years....as you will be dealing with teenagers and all those female hormones! Best advice for parenting a teen: get on your knees and pray,Sister! Teenagers are possessed and evil people these days...as I am sure we weren't! ;) If I don't taser Tony to death, in May we'll be celebrating 15! Crap, I think all this means we're getting old!

HooHoo said...

I'm so glad you two found each other, you crazy love birds. Thirteen is such a lucky year. Keep that love growing!

nicole and kevin said...

Do you know what's crazy? I was planning on getting that same back-tu. I think it will really help bring out all my "beauty spots" on my back.
Congrats on the big one three!

Cassie and Chad said...

Happy Anniversary! I am so sad about your trip to Kauai, that is where Chad and I went on our honeymoon. It was beautiful, I can't believe it was so yucky the whole time, you'll have to try it again someday. Happy 13th!