To celebrate our anniversary Kirk and I went to Flagstaff for a little "vacation from our problems" (name the movie). We had found a great deal on Priceline for The Little America, and Kirk and his family had stayed there several times growing up, and he remembered it as being really nice. Our rooms were nice, but the decor was about 20 years old, and it seemed a little like we were staying with Virginia K. (our family's old neighbor) minus 12 cats, Kurt chain smoking, and hot dish on the stove.
That night we went with a newspaper's recommendation to Black Bart's for dinner. It was supposed to be an authentic cowboy restaurant with supposedly the 'best steaks in the whole wild west' and live entertainment of the waiters and waitresses singing show tunes. We both gave it a hearty two thumbs down!
The next day we decided to go on an early morning jog on the trail through the woods behind the hotel. We jogged about 1/4 mile before we were dying. We blamed it on the high altitude and freezing weather -not that we're totally out of shape. There were small patches of snow on the ground, and we saw a couple squirrels on our what turned out to be walk, instead of jog, so it turned out rather enjoyable .
On Saturday we drove down through Oak Creek Canyon on our way to Sedona - stopping with the rest of the geriatric community to enjoy the scenic view.
This was the part of the trip that Kirk was most excited about - 4-wheeling through Sedona.
Kirk had researched and found a trail called Broken Arrow in Sedona that he wanted to try out. I rather anxiously went along. I have only been off-roading a few times and usually am in sheer panic mode the majority of the time. This was rather fun though. We had followed our little map around the trail we thought, but somehow at the end accidentally stumbled upon "The Steps" which Kirk's book said was extremely difficult and only for experienced off-roaders. Well, there was no where to turn around, and backing up seemed way too treacherous, so we decided to give it a try. We almost died - or at least I almost did from my heart stopping. It was so scary!! Here's a picture of Kirk doing his Captain Jack pose after finishing The Steps without killing us or his Jeep. The picture doesn't do it justice at all!

Sedona is so beautiful! No wonder people come from all over to see it. Here's Kirk being hot when I told him to go sit down so I could take a picture of him.

We decided to get one last picture, showing that we survived, but we used the timer on the camera, so we got half of the rock we set the camera on, and Kirk is looking winded like he only had 5 seconds to get there.
This was the part of the trip that Kirk was most excited about - 4-wheeling through Sedona.
Sedona is so beautiful! No wonder people come from all over to see it. Here's Kirk being hot when I told him to go sit down so I could take a picture of him.
We decided to get one last picture, showing that we survived, but we used the timer on the camera, so we got half of the rock we set the camera on, and Kirk is looking winded like he only had 5 seconds to get there.
7 comments:
What a fun trip!!! Matt and I need to follow your lead and get away for a few days. You guys are such a fun couple- always doing adventurous things. By the way- remind me to tell you sometime about our married apt that we rented for $300 a month- that DID have mice in it. For reals. So gross!
I am so jealous! Do you know that Tony and I have NEVER spent the night away from our kids? And Andy's about to turn 14 on Friday? I'm trying to tell him for number 15 in May he should take me away!
Sounds awesome. You guys are totally ritzy staying at Little America. I loved the Kretchmar likenesses. Oh hotdish.
When we move to AZ can we go on trips with you? You guys are fun!
Jake
Allyson, what day were you at broken arrow? We did the same trip for our anniversary. We did broken arrow on the 13th of March. We weren't brave enough to do it by ourselves though! (check out my blog). Loved your pictures!
You crack me up and I LOVE Kirk's poses. He kills me.
What about Bob?
Kirk makes me laugh so hard. I love the "hot picture" of him. What a fun trip. Keith would be jealous of the off roading!
Post a Comment