Kirk's 38th birthday was celebrated grandly by a nice relaxing trip to San Diego! For his birthday each year, his mom volunteers to watch our kiddos so we can go and do whatever we want. We love it! Best present ever!!
We left after Kirk got home from work Thursday night. On our way out of town I wanted to stop and get Kirk some new shoes that he's been wanting for his birthday. So we went to three different stores before we found the perfect color and size shoe that he wanted. And lucky for me, they were having a buy one get one 1/2 off sale, so I got myself some new shoes for Kirk's birthday. :) They are heaven!
We stayed the night in Yuma, even though my brothers and sisters totally made fun of us. We didn't even get killed. And it was nice to only have to drive 3 hours after our shoe finding excursion took us more than an 1 1/2 hrs.
Once we got to San Diego on Friday morning, we checked into our hotel and went straight to the beach. It was glorious! I made the mistake of not thinking I really needed sunscreen, so I left the beach with shoulders and chest the color of my new bright coral shoes. One of these days I'll learn!
That night we went to a food truck bazaar, where several of the gourmet food trucks from SD gather for a food tasting festival. It was fun to get to try a few different things. We had shrimp tacos, Vietnamese sandwiches, and a grilled artichoke spinach and cheese sandwich. It was all so good!
Then that night we went to a Padres baseball game. It was so fun! Actually, the game was quite boring, the Padres lost badly, but it was fun people watching, the weather was awesome, and you can't beat baseball game food and candy! After the game, they had a firework show that paid tribute the Olympic athletes. They were pretty boring fireworks, all the same size and color at the same place, but at the end they played "We Will Rock You" with the fireworks while showing US Olympic winning pictures, and I won't lie, I totally got all emotional. (Imagine that :)
We visited the Mormon Battalion Monument Museum thing in Old Town. It was awesome! You move from room to room while the interactive movie tells you all about the Mormon Battalion. I would highly recommend it!
We also hiked Torrey Pines again. So pretty! Beautiful hike up and then down a mountain, down to the beach. It was so pretty we decided to go back and spend the day at that beach. (Actually what made us decide to go back was: it was Saturday afternoon, and we went to three different beaches, hoping to park and enjoy the rest of the day, but parking was horrendous, and Kirk doesn't have the most patience when it comes to parking situations, and crowds of people, so we went back to Torrey Pines because we had already paid for all day parking, and knew we would be able to find a spot.) It really was a great place to spend the day!
That night we went to an Argentinian place for dinner. I had delicious fish that was swimming in a butter garlic cream sauce - yum! And Kirk had the skirt steak with chimichuri sauce, which was the reason he had wanted to go there. It was so yummy!
It was so much fun to have what our girls called a "Romantic Vacation", even if the "romantic" part was just relaxing and eating tons of yummy food, while hanging out together! So much fun!!




2 comments:
Lots of fun. Like the shoes, the narrative and your mother-in-law. She really knows how to give birthday gifts. Fireworks critics: we are!
So jealous! Sounds like an amazingly perfect weekend!!!
Post a Comment