T is also for Thumbs up, or maybe in this case thumbs down! Lizzie has been my thumb sucker from day one, and subsequently has also been my best sleeper from day one. She is now nearing 5 years old, and really is just too old to be still sucking her thumb. We've tried to break the habit several times, using several different methods, but nothing has worked. Last week we got this stuff that you paint on her thumb that tastes gross. The first couple days Lizzie would cry these big crocodile tears, not being able to suck her thumb, and I felt really bad like I had just cut off her best friend. Then after a couple days she started doing better, and I thought things were going well, until I saw what she was doing. When Lizzie needed a good thumb sucking, she would suck on her thumb, then spit out the nasty taste, suck, spit. Once she had sufficiently uncoated her thumb, she could suck her thumb in peace.
Friday, November 9, 2007
T is for Turkey!
Lizzie has been learning about the letter T in preschool this past week. I think I have quite a turkey here myself!


T is also for Thumbs up, or maybe in this case thumbs down! Lizzie has been my thumb sucker from day one, and subsequently has also been my best sleeper from day one. She is now nearing 5 years old, and really is just too old to be still sucking her thumb. We've tried to break the habit several times, using several different methods, but nothing has worked. Last week we got this stuff that you paint on her thumb that tastes gross. The first couple days Lizzie would cry these big crocodile tears, not being able to suck her thumb, and I felt really bad like I had just cut off her best friend. Then after a couple days she started doing better, and I thought things were going well, until I saw what she was doing. When Lizzie needed a good thumb sucking, she would suck on her thumb, then spit out the nasty taste, suck, spit. Once she had sufficiently uncoated her thumb, she could suck her thumb in peace.
T is also for Thumbs up, or maybe in this case thumbs down! Lizzie has been my thumb sucker from day one, and subsequently has also been my best sleeper from day one. She is now nearing 5 years old, and really is just too old to be still sucking her thumb. We've tried to break the habit several times, using several different methods, but nothing has worked. Last week we got this stuff that you paint on her thumb that tastes gross. The first couple days Lizzie would cry these big crocodile tears, not being able to suck her thumb, and I felt really bad like I had just cut off her best friend. Then after a couple days she started doing better, and I thought things were going well, until I saw what she was doing. When Lizzie needed a good thumb sucking, she would suck on her thumb, then spit out the nasty taste, suck, spit. Once she had sufficiently uncoated her thumb, she could suck her thumb in peace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Hey, I found your blog through a friend of a friend. Lizzie is so cute! I kinda miss trading off preschool in a way because I love seeing all the kids interact and respond to what you're teaching them. Tiffany does so great though! Well anyways I'm glad I found you and I love your blog! I don't know if it shows, but I am at katrinaandjustin.blogspot.com
-Katrina Riggs
I was a Lizzie when I was younger (With brown hair, and not as cute of a turkey)
The nail paint stuff totally doesn't work, and I glad Lizzie figured that out.
The dentist told my mom that if I stopped sucking my thumb, I wouldn't have to get braces and that my teeth would move back into place. (I think I was 6 or 7?) So my mom offered me $10 to not suck my thumb for a week. I was cured, and never had braces.
With inflation, maybe you could offer Lizzie $100. But hey, it's cheaper than braces.(j/k)
And to make this comment even longer, Alan was also a thumb sucker, but it took a rack in his mouth to break the habit. And he did have braces.
I'm proud of Lizzie for her ingenuity. Did you figure it out when you smelled everything around her (clothes, furniture, bed, etc.) smelled like sour breath? Yuck. Her turkey is super cute, and I'm with Mom, I think we should make turkey, pilgrim and indian hats for Thanksgiving dinner! So cute!
She may need another habit to take the place of thumb sucking. Try to get her more into nail biting!
Sorry...that was a mean and unproductive comment. I can imagine that is quite a dilemma. I will just have to sympathize with you on this one, because I have no idea what I would do. I like your friend's idea about bribery.
Alright! Go Lizzie!!! I sucked my thumb well into 3rd grade! My mom tried everything including having the dentist put a spikey thing in the top of my mouth to poke my thumb to stop sucking it... but as soon as I got home went to the bathroom and got a butter knife to pry it off of my molars. I can still remember the day, I was in Kindergarten.. Alyson don't worry the time will come and she will no longer suck her thumb... you'll have plenty of stories and miss the days that she sucked her thumb! By the way I never had to get braces!!! maybe she'll be the one to save you some money... ha ha
I have that picture to post too. Glad the thumb sucking is getting better, and might I say you are the kindest person ever. Thanks for helping me out of a tight spot.
I say cut it off...she'll thank you later. Whats worse, buck teeth or no thumb?!?!? hahha
Just teasin of course. My sister sucked her finger, was called 'buck tooth beaver' her childhooh years, then got braces & is now a beautiful swan...there is HOPE!!!
I sure love this little turkey! Unfortunately, I have no ideas. I'm not a very good behavior problem solver. Amy sucks her fingers, as well as her shirt collars, sleeves, plastic toys... you name it. We are just mean and threaten to throw things away that she sucks on. But I guess that hasn't worked since she still does it. Plus, it would be hard to throw Lizzie's thumbs away.
Oh, and Al, I've been meaning to get a thank-you card off to you for mine and Parker's birthday presents (and still plan to), but just wanted you to know that we got them and LOVE them! I/we love the CD and listen to it over and over again. And Parker loves his shirt- he's only thrown up on it once. But he really looks handsome in it. We'll have to post some pictures of him in it. Thank you! You are so kind and thoughtful!
Love ya!
Jake
My cousin sucked her thumb for so long that her fingernail deteriorated and is deformed to this day! On a brighter note, my grandmother got me to stop my nasty habit of nail biting by offering a manicure and a new ring if I didn't bite my nails for two weeks. I was maybe seven and I haven't chewed on them since. AND- I still have the ring.
Post a Comment