For Christmas, Kirk's parents said that all they wanted from us was to spend some time with our family, so we gladly took them up on the offer. They have always wanted to go to Karchner Caverns, and we've discussed going a few times, so we decided to make a little day trip out of it.
They had some holes in rock formation things that you could try your hand at spelunking. Kirk was awesome at it.

Since it's a live cave, I guess bacteria grows like crazy if anyone or anything touches anything inside. So before we went in our guide gave us a huge lecture about not touching or rubbing up against anything, or even letting our jackets brush up against the side of the walkway. Right after he said that, he called out this little girl that was climbing on and all over the wall of the walkway. Who was it? You bet - Brynn. So I was a nervous wreck the whole time trying to make sure our girls weren't damaging the whole cave.
There were some pretty amazing formations of rock, but it was kinda hard to enjoy it between the 70 degree temperature with 100% humidity inside the cave, Brynn being too tired to walk so having to carry her, and trying to make sure nobody was touching anything.
We decided we give Karchner Caverns about a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10. It probably would have ranked higher if we we had not been a nervous wreck about our kids potentially wrecking this natural wonder. So, if you're in the neighborhood and have nothing to do, and want to sweat off a couple pounds, and your kids don't touch anything ever, and you want to be educated about stalactites and stalagmites, then go on over.
On our way home, we stopped by Rigo's Mexican food for dinner. We found it online, and it had been given 5 stars (out of 5), so we decided to try it out. It was decent. About the same review as the cave. But they did have awesome guacamole, which I had been craving lately.
6 comments:
Awww, now I'm sad. You were so close to us and didn't come say hi. We haven't even been to Karchners yet. How sad is that? I think we'll have to go without Cambria though now that I read your review. On second thought, better go without little Dennett too! So where was the restaurant you went to at? Its hard to find good Mexican around here (guess its cuz we're soo far from the border and all). Glad you had a good time!
Ok its been way too long since I checked your blog. Caves sound way too stressful for me!! I LOVE your girls bangs though. I noticed Marissa's bangs in primary on Sunday and I thought she looked so posh. Way cooler than I looked at her age!!
Cute family. We'll have to give the caves a try when my youngest is 10, I think. What a great idea for Christmas though...
We went to Karchner Caverns before Alan went on his mission and one of the kids was sick and throwing up that day. I bet the people were totally freaked out when they saw us coming in with all those kids. I've always wondered if they cleaned it after those first explorers went in. Anyway it's always fun to explore places with your family and that was definitely an experience.
Yeah...we've thought about those caverns, but um...I couldn't trust my husband not to touch, let alone worry about the kids!! I'm so NOT kidding, he's the worst doctor's offices! YAY you guys for being so brave! PS- I sure don't know how you stay so up to date on this blog thing...poor Khayle's gonna be 12 before I get her birthday up, let alone Christmas and Disney World!
Love the girls bangs. I will leave the caves to you! John took Harrison it's definately not something we could do as a family. Fun for you though. Just the day with the family sounds wonderful though.
Post a Comment