Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dog-Gone-It!

Last week we had the worst and the best day all combined into one crazy Tuesday! Marissa was playing with her mangy dog, Buddy, after school, and didn't realize that the front door was open and he quickly escaped. Marissa and Noelle started running and screaming after him. (As a side note, Buddy escapes all the time. I try to tell Marissa that it means he secretly hates us and is trying with all his might to get away from us) After about a 1/2 hour, they still hadn't found him and came sobbing back home. Lizzie had a new friend over, so I didn't feel like I could just up and join the search right then...I know, I'm mean. So, they enlisted the help of their friends, the Nichols' girls. They rode all over the neighborhood crying, looking, crying, and asking everyone they could find if they'd seen Buddy. After about 1/2 hour of that, Marissa came and collasped on our floor sobbing because they still hadn't been able to find him, and she was sure he was dead. So, we hopped in the car and went looking all over our neighborhood and the surrounding neighborhoods, but to no avail. No Buddy. So, we went home and made up a billion signs and went and hung them up all over. After that we said some serious prayers, and I told them we just had to go on with life. None of the girls could eat dinner - they just didn't have an appetite with Buddy gone. Noelle said that her face just couldn't smile anymore with Buddy gone. It was quite tragic! That night I put the red, puffy eyed girls to bed, after more prayers and more crying. (Secretly, I had been trying to think of the least traumatic way we could get rid of our yappy dog for the last couple months, so I maybe was kinda hoping this was going to be it. I know, again, I'm mean!) Well, lo and behold, someone called that night around 9:30 and said they had found a dog at the park in the neighborhood across the busy street. Kirk took Marissa and Noelle, and rushed over to see the long lost dog. It was Buddy! And he was not hurt or any worse for the wear. He just had had a nice 6 hours of freedom. Yes, it was a serious answer to my girls prayers. So, Buddy is back! Dog-gone-it!!

9 comments:

standifird family said...

glad he's back, for the girl's sake, of course:) Emma and Regan were SO worried.

Kim said...

It's good the girls got the answer to their prayers, too bad you couldn't get the answer to yours.

Sara! said...

I'm sorry your prayers didn't cancel out the girls' prayers. Yay, Buddy's home.

As a side note, on Saturday, I was driving down Lindsay and saw a teeny little wiener dog playing "Frogger." Thinking of the girls, I actually stopped and tried to get the dog for about 15 minutes. I didn't get it and decided it wanted to be free.

The Jones Fam said...

Wow! So dramatic over a dog! They must get that from Kevin's side of the family, if that's possible!
What's worse a stinky mut or sad, depressed girls? I'm glad it was a happy reunion.
-Nat

HooHoo said...

Seeing Buddy look so innocent in the picture doesn't help your case. Only witnessing him bolting through the house and out the door makes your feelings seem reasonable. I've seen him do it, and I'm with you, although the consequences of unhappy girls does make enduring him a little easier. It might help if you had a larger yard, maybe two down from your sister. Or maybe just an ugly screen door so that it isn't so easy to make a getaway. Who am I to make so many suggestions?

Love~ The I Suggest Lady

brooke romney said...

OH man, I couldn't wait to hear the tragic story. I just love your girls...thanks for writing it down for the rest of the world to enjoy!

Matt and Jennae Porter said...

Totally made me laugh because I can so relate. Duke drives me crazy but then I see Savannah go up and give him the biggest hug and say, "I love you Duke." So sweet. ALthough I saw a commercial the other day that said dogs that eat Purina food live 1.8 years longer. And I vowed to no longer buy Purina. I am SO mean!!

The Jones Fam said...

So close.

Best Friends 4ever said...

Mom your so mean… (that is nothing like the story)
You always tell thestories wrong… if you ever see me
(Marissa) ask what the REAL story is.