Saturday, June 2, 2007

Jumprope Anyone?

So this past week has been a rough one for me, especially dealing with Bernie (Brynn's alter ego). We decided to take away her pacifier, because kids trying to talk while having a pacifier in their mouth is probably one of the ugliest things ever. What spurred this was that she was waking up like 10 times in the night, not being able to find her pacifier, which usually resulted in me crawling under her bed looking for it in the middle of the night. So I figured, it's not like she'll sleep any worse without it. But, boy was I wrong! We had like three days of absolutely crazy sleep. I remembered a wierd lady in one of my old wards that said that when one of their 14 kids had trouble sleeping they would just tie them to their bed with a jumprope. I was so appalled that someone would do this, but do you know what? In the middle of the third night when I woke up with my neck crinked because I was sleeping with my head resting on their nightstand in an effort to keep her in bed, that didn't sound like a bad idea. It's a good thing I couldn't find Marissa and Noelle's skip-it jumpropes they just got. But I am happy to say that Brynn slept all through the night last night (without the use of a jumprope), and has stopped asking for her pacifier, so I think that she's safe from jumpropes for the time being.

8 comments:

MeL said...

I think that yarn would work well too if you can't find a jumprope. Like, if you think of it, it's soft, and a tiny bit stretchy so that they can move, it's just when it is pulled tight that it becomes like wire. Or you could just use wire. Anyways, I'm sorry to hear that Bernie was being punky, but congrats on loosing the Bise!

The Jones Fam said...

Congratulations! Yeah, it's amazing what things actually seem logical at 3:00 AM when you haven't gotten more than 15 consecutive minutes of sleep. We've resorted to chain-link cages. With locks. And razor-wire... okay not really, but it may have crossed my mind.
Jake

HooHoo said...

Remember the line: "It's a just a stage." Hope things go better today. If not, take them to Grandma's.

brooke romney said...

Props to you. We waited till Jace was 3 1/2, so you are way ahead of the Romney curve.

The Fletchies said...

so this has nothing to do with your post but its a good anecdote regardless. When I was working at Robson Elem. with kindergarteners we were trying to work on the kids recognizing first letter sounds and matching the letter. So if a student couldn't figure it out on there own I would question them with the letters they had and if it was a zebra i would ask...is it a febra? is it a tebra? is it a zebra? until they would say yes to the correct letter. Anyway once the picture was jumprope and so I asked is it a kumprope? is it a rumprope? and immediately had to hold in my laughter as a thought of a fat slutty lady using a scarf to shimmy on her rump came to mind. Needless to say devin and I now refer to anything that could be used to shimmyn on a rumo such as a scarf, belt or towel as a rumprope.

The Jones Fam said...

Why am I ALWAYS in the quiet library when I read the funniest comments (reference to Lar-lar's) so I have to sheild my laughter and just have boogers go out my nose instead? That is too funny.

Jake

Sara! said...

rumprope is such a vivid image. lol

MJM said...

Let me just say that I am so glad I went to the dentist so I could find out that your family all have blogs. So it is like a Sunday afternoon and I am making my kids have quiet time so that I can sit here and read everyones blogs. They keep coming in to ask me questions and I patiently and kindly respond, "Don't you know it is quiet time, go read your scriptures or something." Your family is Hilarious. Tell Melissa that I love the green stripes, the lizard wins the best photogenic couple, cool to have a stalker with the stalkerish name of torn ligament aka ripped body parts, it doesn't get better than that. So about your jump rope dilemma, funny. I am sure that Lani would be proud that after all these years you are finally following some of her parenting methods. Oh and by the way, Mindy asked me if I had your sugar cookie recipe. I don't have it. I have a lot of other fabulous recipes from you but not that one. So I think that I need it. I am always needing more good food to become addicted to.
Mary Jo